Tour the Berkeley Campus
Walking Tours for Individuals and Families
UC Berkeley Visitor Services offers several types of free walking tours of the campus almost every day of the year. Led by expert student guides who know the university and the nuances of student life, a campus tour is ideal for students interested in attending UC Berkeley, tourists, nostalgic alumni, and anyone wishing to learn more about the university. Tours are conducted rain or shine.
These walking tours are intended for individuals, families, and parties of up to nine people. If you are a school group or organization, a party of 10 people or more, or if you wish a private tour, please go to the Reserved Group Tour Page for more information.
All tours require an online reservation.
Weekday Tours (Cal Tour Weekday)
Non-holiday weekday tours begin at 10:00 am (and 1:00 pm in April) at the Visitor Center in 101 Sproul Hall.
Weekend and weekday tours on holidays (see list below) begin at Sather Tower, also known as the Campanile, located in the heart of the UC Berkeley campus. Saturday and weekday holiday tours begin at 10:00 am (and 1:00 pm in April) and Sunday tours begin at 1:00 pm.
Tours are scheduled for the following holidays (2013-2014 academic year):
- Labor Day, September 2, 2013
Veterans Day, November 11, 2013
Day after Thanksgiving, November 29, 2013
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, January 20, 2014
Presidents' Day, February 17, 2014
Cesar Chavez Day, March 28, 2014
Memorial Day, May 26, 2014
Campus Holiday Closure
No tours will be offered between December 24, 2013-January 1, 2014 during the campus winter break.
Special tours for newly-admitted freshmen students are offered during the month on April. Newly-admitted transfer students are invited to join one of our daily public walking tours during the month of May. Information and reservation links for students admitted for the 2013-2014 academic year are available via the myBerkeley app.
Visitor and Parent Services offers a limited number of special engineering tours during the fall and spring semesters for prospective and newly-admitted undergraduate students and their families.
Engineering tours are led by campus student ambassadors who are engineering majors. The tour will visit several of the buildings that comprise the College of Engineering, and will include information on teaching; research; and student projects, services, and groups. The engineering tour provides some general campus information, but is not intended to replace the general campus walking tour.
During Fall 2013, engineering tours will be offered on the following Mondays at 12:00-1:30 pm: November 18, November 25, and December 2; and on the following Fridays at 2:00-3:30 pm: November 15, November 22, and December 6.
Making a Reservation
- Access the online reservation calendar by clicking *Make a Reservation* at the bottom of this page.
- Other types of tours may be listed on the date of your choice, so please be sure you are reserving an engineering tour or you will be making a reservation for the wrong tour.
- After completing the reservation form, you will be asked to review your information. Only when you hit *Submit* and a reservation summary appears on the screen have you successfully completed your reservation. You will receive a confirmation e-mail.
- If *Engineering Tour* does not appear on the dates noted above, it means that the tour is full and you will need to choose another date. Because of space limitations, only guests who have confirmed reservations will be able to join the tour.
Consider complementing your engineering tour with the 10:00 am Cal Tour Weekday. Separate reservations are required.
Other Campus Opportunities on the Day of your Visit
- Attend the 9:00 am admissions information session for prospective students offered by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. No reservation is required, but space is limited. Please stop by the Visitor Center in 101 Sproul Hall, sign in for your tour, and staff will direct you to the presentation.
- Attend a UC Berkeley class. Available during the fall semester only. Visit the Class Pass page of our website.
- Tour the residence halls. Information and online reservations are available on the Cal Housing website.
Reserving a Tour
Clicking on the button below will take you to the tour calendar, where you may reserve your tour. Please note that several types of tours are listed on the calendar. Please be sure you are reserving the right tour. If you do not see your tour listed on the date you wish to take a tour, it means that the tours on that date are full or are not being offered.